Is Giving Really better than Receiving?
Jennifer Ray shows Why & How
HealthiTan Client Spotlight
A Ray of Sunshine
We’ve all heard the term “giving is better than receiving” especially this time of year. But do we always believe & practice it? I know a young woman who does. She is one of our clients, her name is Jennifer Ray. She has truly practiced this & has been a Ray of Sunshine to Many.
Her story will touch you and hopefully motivate you to make a difference during the holidays. As you read this be thinking how you can make a difference this year, whether in your community, your own neighborhood, your family, friends or co workers. There are people everywhere that need something that each of us have to give.
KC: The City of Love💙
“Did you know that Kansas City has over 600 non-profit organizations? We are known as one of the most giving cities in America. It isn’t hard to find something you are passionate about if you wish to support a great cause.
At a young age, my mother encouraged me to volunteer and give back. Which led me to the Junior League of Kansas City, Missouri. I have had the opportunity of a lifetime to volunteer with an amazing organization. The Junior League’s mission is to promote voluntarism, developing the potential of women and improve communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. The League has raised over $15.7 million and volunteered over 2.3 million hours over the past 101 years. The League also has two fantastic local fundraisers, Holiday Mart in October at Bartle Hall and Take Five in March. Both of these events are must attend events in Kansas City and raise funds for women and children in our area.
Through my experience with the Junior League, I have had the opportunity to volunteer with some great organizations such as Happy Bottoms, Wayside Waifs, MOSCA, Truman Heritage Habitat for Humanity, Harvesters, the Kansas City Zoo, University Academy and Page & Chapters to name a few. All of these groups opened my eyes and taught me that everyone can make a difference by either giving their time, money or support to worthy organizations.
One of my favorite volunteer experiences is the Kansas City Zoo’s Jazzoo event. Jazzoo is an annual event that raises money for the Zoo Learning Fund and helps to feed more than 1,000 animals at our zoo. At this event you have the opportunity to taste amazing food from area restaurants, listen to several bands and enjoy cocktails under the stars at the zoo all while supporting a great cause. Whether you volunteer or attend to support the cause, it’s an extremely fun & rewarding experience.
Through the years, I have learned that volunteering can be a lot of hard work but it is also a ton of fun too. Especially if you attend some great events like Jazzoo, Take Five and Holiday Mart.
Casual Interview with Jennifer:
- Where did you grow up? Grew up in Overland Park, KS
- College? Went to KU…Rock Chalk Jayhawk!
- What type of work do you do? Marketing
- Do you have any pets? yes, a boston terrier
- What are three of your passions besides volunteering.
- Enjoy playing soccer and tennis, traveling and spending time with friends and family.
- Favorite faraway destination? Bassano Del Grappa, Italy
- If you could leave tomorrow without a care in the world where would you go? Barcelona Spain
- If you could change one thing in the entire world what would it be? All kids would have access to healthy food and clean water
- Part of my routine before any fundraising event, is to schedule an appointment with Joni at HealthiTan for a spray tan. I would not trust anyone else. Joni always makes me feel comfortable while creating the perfect tan customized just for me.”
I want to thank Jennifer for this “volunteer pep talk”! Hopefully she has shed light so that we all can be someone’s Ray of Sunshine for the Holidays. And here’s your 1st Chance!
Please stop by to choose an Angel at our studio & make a local child happy during the holidays.
(Deadline to have gifts, unwrapped, to us for your Angel is Dec 10, 2015)
For more info:
text or call 913-486-2755
We make a living by what we get,
But make a life by what we give.
~Sir Winston Churchill